Monday, October 15, 2012

Mattress Land

Imagine a crowded mattress store, although many of them are mostly deserted.
(For foreign readers, in the U.S. it's not unusual for customers to try out the mattresses
they are thinking of buying.)

             Mattress Land
 
is where strangers briefly sleep together
on separate beds, wandering flocks of Goldilocks
trading places in search of the one that’s just
right - not too firm or too forgiving- for the price
they’re willing to pay;  or they lie on memory
foam, still as corpses, and pretend to be
the princess who can sense the pea beyond
the two minute test, the restless nights,
the bitter mornings, the pro-rated guarantee.

 


4 comments:

  1. Wow!! this is just great. I love how you compare mattresses. Can we please do this for poem of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fred.

    I had the pleasure of studying with you at Landon in the late '70s (I was co-editor of Prometheus). I'm enjoying your blog.

    On a mattress-related note, here's a posting I put up recently: http://fictioncentric.blogspot.com/2012/09/studies-in-eccentricity-2.html

    Best,
    Drew Mayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Drew. Hope all is well with you. I looked at your blog and recommend it to anyone who follows mine. (I haven't exactly gone viral, but I do have some readers.)Good stuff on Fictioncentric, including some poetry.

      I left you some comments on your blog as well.
      Take care.
      Fred Zirm

      Delete
  3. It was so great if you can sleep on a very smooth mattress that can relax your body every night after work. I think I can sleep better on this sleepys mattress. Finding the best mattress is not easy if you don't know where to find it.

    Sleepys Mattress Stores

    ReplyDelete