Monday, March 11, 2013

Magic

A couple days ago someone asked me if I knew a poem about the value of mindful preparation and repetition, about how practice makes perfect.  I couldn't think of one, so here's one I wrote, imperfect as it is.



                 Magic
The trick is to make the effort
look effortless, to rehearse it
right a hundred time so it goes
right once, to divert everyone’s
attention but your own from the task
at hand so while they’re looking up
your sleeve, you’re pulling a well-groomed
rabbit from a well-worn hat
and the audience gasps as all that
hard work vanishes into thin air.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Zirm:

    You have truly mastered the art of astonishment. Not only did you refresh my resolve to improve, but I'm amazed that you also captured a seldom mentioned magician's secret: the essence of most magic is not the demonstration of skill, but is the CONCEALMENT of it.

    As your fellow magician, I am humbled by your wizardry... again.

    Thank you.

    The Great Runfola

    ReplyDelete