Monday, May 6, 2013

Secondhand Smoke

Just a note for foreign readers (or for those too young to remember Bill Clinton's presidential campaig).  While running for President, Clinton admitted to smoking marijuana but claimed he never inhaled.    Sorry, I can't seem to get the first stanza in single spacing.


       Secondhand Smoke
My father was the Bill Clinton of tobacco,                                                                                      claiming he never inhaled what he always
lit until the doctor said it was cancer
causing his noisy morning coughing fit.

And now I somehow still love the smell
of cigars, though I hate the stores that sell
them – and live in dread of the day I’ll die
of all the things I have never done as well
as all those things I couldn’t bear to quit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment