Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hasenpfeffer

Mostly a true story.  (I thought I posted this last Monday but just found it saved as a draft.)


                                               Hasenpfeffer

                               The night of the big game, I ascended
                               to the P.A. booth, chosen to spot
                               the rival players for Mr. Sosebee
                               on that wet and rainy Friday.
                               Time after time, I couldn’t pick out
                               a number from the muddy pile, but
                               Mr. Sosebee would still confidently announce,
      “Hasenpfeffer in on the tackle….Hasenpfeffer
       on that catch…four more yards for Hasenpfeffer.”
       It was the last time I was asked to be a spotter.

                               After the game, I found my friend Steve
                               still in pads and cleats in the locker room,
                               staring at the cracked concrete floor.
                               “That Hasenpfeffer killed us,” he muttered.
                               “Don’t take it so hard,” I said.
       “He does that to everyone.”
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment