Monday, December 24, 2012

Hearing Tests

Yes, I had a hearing test in a soundproof room the other day.  I passed, but it got me thinking.



         Hearing Tests
            1.

First the head phones
and the test tones
like electric bats
in my brain’s cave
locating themselves
by listening to
their own voice.

            2.

Then the random words,
for me to recognize,
sharp and clear
then soft and low
as forgotten secrets
ice cream
book
doorknob
sidewalk
love.

                    3.

Finally, the voice commands
me to repeat after him.

Say life.
Say wife
Say rife.
Say strife.
                        Say loud.
                        Say proud.
                        Say crowd.
                        Say shroud.
                                                Say deaf.
                                                Say depth.
                                                Say breath.
                                                Say  death.

1 comment:

  1. I am commenting in sequence, but I loved this one as well. I think you're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete