Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Calm at 24,000 Feet

I flew on a smaller plane to Portland yesterday.  For some reason, I got more nervous than usual.   I suspect I'll post 2 or 3 poems about the experience.  Please pardon the monotony.

                                                      Calm at 24,000 Feet

                                         The flight attendant overfills the cup
                                         with foam, confident it will subside
                                         into just enough Diet Coke, my zero
                                         calorie compensation for this morning’s
                                         coffee cake. She knows her job more than I
                                         know mine. All I can do is keep my
                                         seatbelt fastened, look for emergency
                                         exits, and try to forget all the failed
                                         cars abandoned along earthbound roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment