Monday, April 4, 2011

The Other Way Around

Today was a travel day.  Not much time for writing, so here's a revision of something I wrote during the summer.

                                                          The Other Way Around


                                               I rode my bike backwards today,
                                               reversing my usual route –
                                               got a little lost,
                                               went a little slower,
                                               noticed the Queen Anne’s lace
                                               alongside the road and counted
                                               the goldfinches I startled.
                                               I discovered the other side
                                               of the hill is always steeper
                                               and the wind is always
                                               in your face,
                                               but I didn’t care
                                               about my time
                                               since I knew no matter
                                               how long it took me,
                                               it still would be
                                               a personal best.



No comments:

Post a Comment