Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm Going to Sit Right Down

This one may be too obscure factually.  Let me know if you can understand what's going on without the notes I've added.

                    I’m Going to Sit Right Down

First, there’s the moment of pleasure:
a bit of personal mail midst the junk!
Then there’s the sense of the familiar:
I’ve seen this handwriting somewhere before.
And finally, the realization –
this is my handwriting, and I’ve lost
another contest or am due at the dentist’s,
equally painful prospects which both require
me to address myself – like the condemned
man being asked to tie his own noose.

Or perhaps they’re merely trying to save postage
so they can add it to my prize or deduct it from my bill.
But, no….God, just once I’d like to send myself
some better news and make believe it came from you.


Notes:  The title is a reference to an old song, "I'm Going to Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter (and Make Believe It Came from You)."
The occasion of the poem is receiving a self-addressed stamped envelope informing me who won a poetry contest I had entered.  (It wasn't me.)  The poem describes the stages of discovery I went through after bringing in the mail.
My dentist is wonderful (and reads this blog), but he does make me address my own appointment reminders and as wonderful as he is, these reminders are still not my favorite pieces of mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment