Friday, February 25, 2011

Libya

Here's an attempt to write a more traditional rhyming poem as a tribute to a current event.  I'm not sure I've succeeded at either task.

                                                                        Libya


                                               How dare I write mere lines of poetry
                                               while rebels die in the streets of Tripoli?
                                               Unless theirs is poetic license at its best;
                                               to rhyme one’s life with one’s dreams is truly blessed.
                                               More heroic than my couplets, they bravely fight
                                               for a living meter, not one imposed by might.
                                               But still their sacrifice is well beyond my art.
                                               I make this up as I go; they live and die by heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment