Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Art of Modeling

My wife is a painter, and I was posing for her the other day.  The poem comes from pretending what I might think if I were a professional model.  I experimenting with some longer lines here, supposedly reflecting the interminable length of time a model has to hold a pose.  I think there's a poem in here somewhere, but I'm not sure I've found it yet.

                                                     The Art of Modeling

                                      It takes a lot of effort just to stay the same.
                                      Ears itch, smiles sag, muscles ache to move,
                                      but I must ignore all desires and make an instant last
                                      hours – longer if the artist captures it correctly.

                                      I must master mindful mindlessness: no thought, no
                                      motion – all stillness and form. The trick is to make
                                      stasis seem dynamic and stiffness natural.
                                      I was good at playing Statues as a kid.

                                      Photographers freeze movement in a moment;
                                      painters and I do it on the installment plan.
                                      We collaborate over hours or days or weeks
                                      to preserve a second of life of canvas.

                                      Most model-artist relationships are purely Platonic:
                                      They see us as mere forms: the line of a leg,
                                      the curve of an arm, the plane of a back.
                                      Our personality is a by-product of the paint.

                                     Yes, like playing statues staring at eternity.
                                     One time a second nude model showed up
                                     at a class. He looked straight at the students
                                     for a while, then left: Picture of an Exhibitionist.

                                     I’m the poser, pretending to do whatever
                                     I seem to do. Feigning sleep while wide awake,
                                     playing a one note concerto on a cello
                                     I can’t play, smiling at someone who isn’t there.
                                     It takes a lot of effort just to stay the same.







No comments:

Post a Comment