Sunday, March 27, 2011

An Accident Waiting to Happen

I thought about a common saying and imagined an accident speaking to its potential victim.  (I hope the poem works even without this prelude, or perhaps more scene setting needs to occur in the poem itself.  Let me know.)

                                                  An Accident Waiting to Happen


                                      “Come on, come on. You think I’ve got all day?
                                        I’ve got places to be and people to see.
                                       All I need is a moment of your inattention
                                       or your brief belief in your own invulnerability
                                       to make this thing happen. Work with me here.
                                       You have plenty of time to make that left turn.
                                       Stack those stones a little higher.
                                       Look at that beautiful sunset just beyond
                                       the bottom step. OK, OK, go ahead and be
                                       careful. Makes no difference to me. I can work
                                       with some other guy on this proposition.
                                       I may be gone for now, but I’ll be back.
                                       I can be patient if I have to be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment