Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shadow Walking

Last night I was out walking the dog after sunset and watched our shadows grow and shrink as we passed under the streetlights.  I left the dog out of this poem, though.  Perhaps she should be in it.

                                                         Shadow Walking


                                       When I walk the lamp-lit streets, my shadow
                                        shifts with each new light I pass:
                                        behind, beside, beneath, before
                                        behind, beside, beneath, before-
                                        each pool of brightness, a sundial day,
                                        a brief night of dimness in-between.
                                        By this measure, each block I circle
                                        is half a month, and I’ve walked more
                                        months than I have lived, only to return
                                        to a home, either warmly lit with welcome
                                        or so dark my shadow disappears.

2 comments:

  1. great poem!
    especially the two last lines.
    it's true;you always want to return to a place/person even if you know that you might be hurt yourself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. *my mistake .... you might hurt yourself

    ReplyDelete